Grace and St. Peter’s is the product of the merger of two parishes in 1990. St. Peter’s did not exist until 1958, but the history of Grace Church stretches back 200 years before the merger, when our nation was newly independent, the Episcopal Church USA had only recently established its own constitution and structure apart from the Church of England, and the town of Hamden was little more than a dusty crisscrossing of paths in the countryside.
The First One Hundred Years
When a group of volunteers de-cluttered the parish office in 2017, among the items they turned up was a photocopy of a book entitled “History of Grace Church, Hamden, Conn.: From Its Organization, March 1, 1790 to July 1, 1912” by the Rev. James Edward Coley, published New Haven, 1913.
The account is bare, straightforward, and factual, and offers little in the way of vivid writing or perspective on the times. Perhaps a little background information will be useful at the outset.